A couple weeks ago, John stayed up late perusing the blog. Tonight, I got sucked in. It's way past bedtime and my body is ready for sleep, but I want to post a few quick things to remember these days a few years from now.
Ty is in full gear with potty training. Like Lauren Clay was, if he has anything on his little bottom, he'll use it like it is a diaper. BUT if he is uncovered, he'll find a potty and use it when he needs to. So, for the next few days (or however long it takes), he will remain uncovered while we are around the house.
Ty's big thing right now is super heroes. Until very recently, he hadn't seen any superhero shows or read any books, so his imaginative play was completely fabricated. Did I write in the last blog how he told John one night that he loves Superman because he shoots fire from his mouth and kills the bad guys with his feet? John told him Superman usually sends the bad guys to jail, so he's at least corrected that. So a few nights ago, he came in with a doll (which he calls "Big Baby" in honor of the creepy doll from Toy Story 3), and he asked me if Superheroes have children. When I said they can, he said, "Good. Then I am superman and this is my baby. Huh. (He always ends his sentences with "huh", which is short for "uh huh.") And you're Wonderwoman." I cuddled up next to him to pray and he had Big Baby under the covers and would bring him out every few seconds to give him a kiss. I asked him what he would like to pray about, and he said, "Pray about that time I was in jail." He was still in character, although arguably confusing Superman with the Biblical Superhero, Paul.
Lauren Clay is a reader. She may be a better reader than I am. She reads fluidly, expressively and comprehends what she is reading as she reads aloud. She can read just about anything. She remembers what she reads as well. We were watching a baseball show tonight and Jackie Robinson's name was along the bottom of the screen. She said, "Oh, Jackie Robinson... we have a book about him." Sure enough, we have an obscure book about him that we read a long while back. She will take a kindergarten assessment at the end of July. I am excited to see how she does. I try very hard to avoid labeling our kids child geniuses... but Lauren Clay is a pretty sharp reader and I'm looking forward to the "kindergarten kick off" that will give us an unbiased assessment of my hunch.
Oh, and the fish and crawdaddy didn't die after the tank was cleaned. I think the near-death experience only made the pair stronger. Tonight as John lay down with Ty a few minutes before bed, he heard Ty say, "good night." When John responded with a "good night," Ty informed him that he was talking to the catfish. Tonight's prayer requests were: "my superman shirt," "the green M and Ms, because green is my favorite color", and ... Oh, I can't remember the last request.
No comments:
Post a Comment